Burlesque by Force is an independent one-human show about consent, sexual trauma and silence-breaking that is part true story, part metaphor, part poetry. Through the deconstruction of a performer’s costume and character, audiences are invited into the world of surviving sexual violence in our culture.
Premiering in Adelaide Feast Festival 2017, then going through development for an independent season at the Butterfly Club in Melbourne this year, Burlesque by Force makes its eagerly awaited return to Adelaide for Fringe Festival 2018 at Nexus Arts. BOOK NOW for February 24th – 26th, see website for show times.
- “You cannot leave Burlesque by Force unchanged. You cannot say that you don’t know what is going on, or claim that it has nothing to do with you” Adelaide Advertiser
- “delivers a gut-wrenching – and essential – dramatization of a tragic chapter from Australia’s present that is also vivid, demanding, and designed to shake you out of complacency” Australian Stage Online
- “The connection with the audience is so intense that all eyes are transfixed” AU Review
- “it packs a punch that leaves you thinking long after you have left the theatre” Barefoot Review
- “an energetic and forceful personality on-stage” Stage Whispers
- howiman.com blog post
- Interview with Subculture Media